Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Oh, that damn key card

Keeping track of the details is not particularly one of my favorite things in life - I'm really much more of a go-with-the-flow kinda gal.  With that being said, one of the things that I fail to keep track of regularly is the key card access to my building.  I was so bad with this at the Tribune that all of the building security workers knew me by face and name, which is quite a feat in 6 months in a building that size.  And, at the AHA this has simply translated into me borrowing coworkers (and any coworker that recognizes me) at least 2 times a week (every week) to get into the elevator.

After several months of trying to work with my latest temp., in late January I decided that it was no longer worth it and it was time to cut her go.   I checked with my coworker on all the necessary pieces of letting her go - ok, maybe I didn't ask her all the details but the one that sticks in my mind is her telling me I could simply throw away the temp's key card because they're not reused.  So I did.

Fast forward to last week - end of February.  This particular day had been a very trying day and I decided to head to the gym.  When I got to the gym my key card didn't open the door, but someone let me in and I thought very little of it.  After my refreshing workout, I headed back upstairs to grab my stuff for the day about 6:05.  I had a little trouble getting into the elevator turnstiles, but the eventually opened (in hindsight I'm sure security opened them for me).  Once at my floor, unfortunately, I was again unable to get in.  And, seeing as how on any given day there isn't a single employee there later than 5:30, I was SOL.

So, I went down to the front desk to explain my situation and that I can't get into my floor.  After showing him my ID, he informed me that I have a time restriction placed on my card - 7am to 5pm.

"Well that doesn't make sense at all... I've gotten in here after 5pm before lots of times.  Plus, I'm much more of a 9-7 kinda girl."

"Ok, we'll change it to 9am-7pm."  Now this wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but for this moment in time it was fine.  He assured me I'd be able to get into my floor now.

Elevator - check.  7th floor - no check.  I again found myself knocking on every doorway in the hopes that one (just one) hardworking employee is still burning the midnight oil (the 6:15 pm midnight oil).  No such luck.  Back down to one.

"Yeah - I still can't get in."
"That's weird."
"Yes, weird.  But I just need my stuff.  Please, I need to go home."
"Ok, so you now have access from 9-7 for floor 8."
"I'm on floor 7."  blank stare.  "I don't work on 8, I work on floor 7.  I've worked there for the last year and a half and all my stuff is on floor 7.  And, I've always had access to all four floors.  Please, I need my purse and coat so I can go home."
"Ok, I'll send the building engineer to floor 7"

Floor seven.  Again knock on all the doors just in case.  After about 5 minutes of waiting I give up and just sit on the floor in front of our door and begin to text coworkers and friends of my misery.  Another 5-10 minutes go by and I hear some noise - without looking I think God for finally sending the cleaning people.  So, I jumped up and pounded on the door until the lady cleaning Sam's cube had no choice but to acknowledge me and answer the door.

Before she could give any sort of real Q&A in Spanglish  I snatched the door from her and pushed my way past her muttering something I doubt was even coherent.  I then emailed our building liaison asking them to change my security.

The next day I was informed I have 24/7 access so they're not sure what the problem is.  After further digging they realized my key card hadn't been used in a month - a month.  However, my temps card had.

I through away my own key card and took hers by mistake - classic ending to a classic day.  Yet another awesome day in the fabulous life of Deb.


0 comments: